How to update Oracle Java 8 on Raspbian / Raspberry Pi.

By isendev.

 Posted on 2017/08/09 23:50.

 Tagged as: java, raspberrypi, linux.

This is a quick note that shows how to update Oracle Java 8 on Raspbian / Raspberry Pi.

By default, Raspbian has the following Java 8 Oracle package:

root@rpi3server:~# dpkg --list | grep  oracle-java8-jdk
ii  oracle-java8-jdk 8u65 armhf Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 8 Development Kit

root@rpi3server:~ $ java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

And the default Raspbian repositories do not regurarly update this package.

We need to use the Oracle Java Installer from https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team.

Install the repository key, from keyserver.ubuntu.com.

root@rpi3server:~# gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv EEA14886
root@rpi3server:~# gpg --export --armor EEA14886 | sudo apt-key add -

Add the repository URLs to the APT sources config file /etc/apt/sources.list, using your favourite text editor.

root@rpi3server:~# emacs /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main

Update the repositories.

root@rpi3server:~# apt-get update

Use the installer package to automatically update Oracle Java. You must accept the license messages and confirm the installation when prompted.

root@rpi3server:~# apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

Set the updated Oracle Java as default.

root@rpi3server:~# apt install oracle-java8-set-default

And finally, confirm that everything is fine.

root@rpi3server:~# java -version
java version "1.8.0_144"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_144-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)

Important: Note that all commands are executed as root. If you do not have access to a root shell (by default you are not allowed to use it), use sudo to execute them (prefix all commands with "sudo").


Pioneer SA-5300 restoration: Part IV. Other modifications.

By isendev.

 Posted on 2017/08/03 22:44.

 Tagged as: audio, diy, vintage, pioneer.

Here are some photos of two modifications I've made to improve the amplifier.

I've replaced the old and rusty speaker terminals with some new golden plated banana plug terminals:

This amplifier do not have an AC input EMI filter, so I've installed one to reduce power-line interference problems.


Pioneer SA-5300 restoration: Part III. Cleaning and testing.

By isendev.

 Posted on 2017/06/25 20:10.

 Tagged as: audio, diy, vintage, pioneer.

Previously, I've removed the top cover and the aluminium front panel and knobs to access the inners of the amplifier. Over the many years of use, control knobs and front panel tend to accumulate a lot of grime and grease. To make the aluminium parts shine again, nothing better than wash the surfaces gently with hot water and neutral soap. Carefully wipe with a wet microfiber cloth, to avoid damaging the front panel lettering.

Remounting ...

... and testing.

After recapping, the sound stage has improved considerably. This little amplifier sounds really, really good.


Pioneer SA-5300 restoration: Part II. Recapping.

By isendev.

 Posted on 2017/04/26 19:35.

 Tagged as: audio, diy, vintage, pioneer.

This new blog entry gathers some information about recapping, or the dark art of replacing the capacitors in vintage audio gear. As I stated on my previous blog entry, the electrolytic capacitors tend to decrease its perfomance through the years, and it's a common practice to replace all of them in audio equipment with more than 20 years old. Nowadays, good quality capacitors have better electric characteristics and smaller footprint, and can be easily found on online shops.

To make the task of replacing the caps easier, it's a good idea to grab a copy of the unit's service manual. Some small capacitor's values can be tricky to decode and a look to the schematic can help us a lot. Below you can find the complete Pioneer SA-5300 schematic that I've restored in one single image from various parts obtained browsing the net.

Once all capacitor values were identified, I ordered new parts using Panasonic low ESR references (FM and FC series) when available on RS Online, my shop of reference when searching for electronic components. The result: a lot of little plastic bags filled with shiny new caps ready to be installed.

One by one, all old capacitors were removed from the PCB and replaced with its new Panasonic equivalents. This task is not complicated, given the simplicity of the amplifier's board PCB layout. All the capacitors are easily reached without removing the PCB from the chassis. Once all elements are replaced, the difference in size between components is easily visible.

On the table, a bunch of old electrolytic capacitors, some of them with signs of leaking badly.

Bonus: The power indicator bulb was blown. At first I thought of replacing the bulb with a led connected to the amplifier's DC section, but fortunately I found a store in Madrid where these small bulbs were available. I desoldered the blown bulb from the AC supply wires and reconnected to the new bulb, insulated the joints and reattached to the holder using hot glue.

Next stop: cleaning and testing.


Tags
Archives